Skip to main content

In 2010

1. What did you do in 2010 that you'd never done before?
Shoveled snow, ate a live octopus, met a celebrity (Ted Mosby from HIMYM), partied as hard as I did for my quarter century birthday, lived in Manhattan, wrote a thesis, graduated from NYU, landed my first real job, was a bridesmaid, caught the bouquet, turned Mac

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn’t make any for 2010, but I will make some for 2011-- eat right, exercise, floss more, and quit saying, “I hate…”

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope, not this year

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thank heavens

5. What countries did you visit?
I didn’t leave the country, but hopefully that changes next year! I want to travel more.

6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
Stability in life

7. What date(s) from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
February 17 through April 4, and December 16, because I never in a million years would have imagined that I get to experience that kind of happiness

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting my masters degree and landing a killer research position at Stanford

9. What was your biggest failure?
Losing a huge sum of money to these girls, who didn’t know what they were doing when we looked for apartments together. Gah! Thinking about it now makes me furious, so it’s best if I just forget about it. Lesson learned-- don’t trust new people just because they’re nice.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I’ve been suffering from an ever lingering, super unattractive whooping cough.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My iPhone. Seriously, how I ever managed without email and internet on my previous phones is beyond me.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Fred. His amazing art is celebrated in art shows around NYC, and his selected pieces are selling like hot cakes online! I am so proud of him.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
This one person whose chin is severely underdeveloped

14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent and transportation-- I can always forgo eating.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows!

16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
The Cinema Paradiso theme by Ennio Morricone, or John Mayer’s Continuum album

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
Wiser? I think so.
Healthier? No. I am the heaviest I’ve ever been
Richer? About the same

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
I wish I took more advantage of living in NYC by doing more, seeing more, and spending more time with friends while I was still there

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Sit on my butt at home doing nothing

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Hopefully with my family and good friends

21. Did you fall in love in 2010?
Oh man, did I ever…

22. How many one-night stands?
364

23. What was your favorite TV program?
Futurama! I love Professor Farnsworth

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Someone is dead to me, but I don’t hate him. Apathy is better.

25. What was the best book you read?
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Bruno Mars

27. What did you want and get?
A great job

28. What did you want and not get?
A great job in New York City

29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Toy Story 3

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I invited everyone I knew in NYC to Pranna for my 25th birthday. It was glorious, despite the 17-degree weather and the fact that I threw up in front of my guests after one too many vodka shots.

31. What's one thing that would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Honestly, I really cannot say. 2010 was amazing! I couldn’t have asked for more, because no one is that fortunate.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
H&M

33. What kept you sane?
Philippians 1:6

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Joseph Gordon-Levitt

35. What political issue stirred you the most?
I’ll be the first to admit that I know the least bit about what’s going on in politics and current affairs.

36. Who did you miss?
Mark Kwan

37. Who was the best new person you met?
Hmm, not sure. I didn’t really hang out with any new people this past year.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
To quote the great C. S. Lewis, “The pain I feel now is the happiness I had before. That’s the deal.”

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

Comments

Sandy said…
Aw, I love this annual entry. I should start this. I wish I had started earlier, the way you did.
Tiffany said…
yeah it's so fun to read these each year! start now, and in 5 years, it'll be super awesome to reflect :)
dewinsunshine said…
Happy New Year, Tiffany! I'm going to post mine soon. =)

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

i'm sitting in the middle of my bed. it's really comfortable, definitely a lot bigger than my twin mattress. my arms and legs are tired from unpacking, but before i sleep, i wanted to write a little something. around 8pm this evening, we finally pulled into the drive way and opened the door to an extremely excited cody. the ride from norcal was pretty smooth, save the first day when it was raining really hard. yesterday, we spent the night in diamond bar, because 15 hours of straight driving would be too tough on my brother, especially when my mom still has jetlag, and neither of them want me behind the wheel. that reminds me, i going to need to start driving again. yikes. anyway, most of my belongings are put away now, but a lot of my clothes and books are still scattered around the floor, because i don't have any bookshelves or even a dresser at the moment. right now, tucson isn't too different from the bay area in terms of weather. according to my desktop widget, it&

All Things In One

What have I been up to? Home: Living in the South Bay has been a pretty good experience. I didn't think I would like it (compared to the city) or get used to driving, but I very much enjoy speeding down the freeway and listening to the radio every day. Traffic is almost always terrible when I'm on the road, but it's expected. The wonderful part is that I have a lovely place to call home. I look forward to spending time with my house mates, even if it means listening to the three of them play games next to me while I'm text-twisting on my laptop. There are so many different ethnic restaurants around the area. The other night, I had some pretty delicious Malaysian cuisine. It reminded me of my aunt next door in Tucson, and how much I miss her (and her cooking). Work: Many people know from my status updates on Facebook, and a select few have heard the long, agonizing stories of how frustrating it has been at work for the past month. Recruitment for our study has bee

Parallel Characters

King Kong was on TNT over the weekend. I tuned in and loved it just as much as I did when I watched it in the theater. I wanted to write an essay afterward! The relationship between Anne and the ape was so touching, and I enjoyed that they were parallel characters-- she not belonging in his world, he not belonging in hers; both lose the people they cherish, and both protect the other from danger; at many points in the plot, they were bound physically and emotionally to each other.  When they're together, they have that companionship they seek.