Skip to main content

All Things In One

What have I been up to?

Home: Living in the South Bay has been a pretty good experience. I didn't think I would like it (compared to the city) or get used to driving, but I very much enjoy speeding down the freeway and listening to the radio every day. Traffic is almost always terrible when I'm on the road, but it's expected. The wonderful part is that I have a lovely place to call home. I look forward to spending time with my house mates, even if it means listening to the three of them play games next to me while I'm text-twisting on my laptop. There are so many different ethnic restaurants around the area. The other night, I had some pretty delicious Malaysian cuisine. It reminded me of my aunt next door in Tucson, and how much I miss her (and her cooking).


Work: Many people know from my status updates on Facebook, and a select few have heard the long, agonizing stories of how frustrating it has been at work for the past month. Recruitment for our study has been surprisingly slow, which is worrisome. As a result, my boss has become extremely difficult to work with, micromanaging every step of the way, and not being very helpful. I am learning how to work with her all over again. This environment is a daily test of my patience. As Calvin's dad always says about every trying situation, "It builds character," and I know that every minute of working here is molding me into a more patient and competent person. The other morning while flipping through the Stanford Daily, I found a featured article on Albert Bandura. He is the social psychologist behind the social learning theory, and also the self-efficacy theory. Reading about him got me all excited about social psych research again, rekindling the little flame in my heart that wants to pursue a Ph.D. Whatever job or whatever academic opportunity lies ahead of me, I know that this position at Stanford right now is preparing me for it.


God: I have found a church! I'm pretty sure (99% sure) that this is it. Church shopping is so stressful, and it lacks the intimacy that allows you to get to know the people on a deeper level. After three different churches, I decided to check out Living Stones, which stemmed from CFC Berkeley, the church that I went to when I was in college. I've been going since the beginning of March and am very excited to have met a great group of people with whom I can worship each week. Because I am working full time now, I feel that there is finally no excuse to my not tithing. Serve and give and know that I'll get more in return.


Family: My brother has moved to the Bay Area! He lives in San Mateo with his high school friend, and he's currently looking for a job. If any of y'allz know of any openings in engineering management, send word my way! I know he'll definitely appreciate it. We hung out a couple times since he's been here. I took him to lunch near my work, and he gave me a bag of warheads. Warheads! When was the last time you had one and made a face so ugly, because you just lost four taste buds? Anyway, he and I are thinking of putting together a video message for our dad. My dad is getting ordained as an official pastor in his church in Malaysia during the first weekend of May. Unfortunately, due to time conflict and financial reasons, my brother and I can't make it to the ceremony. We're gonna make the best video-card ever.


Love: Revival begins with the desire to seek the Lord, and requires that we tear down our idols. My idol is the idea of a fabulous marriage. I've been so in love with love for so many years, caught up in movies and TV shows that portray relationships in such a way. Sometimes knowing is not enough. Acknowledging that you have an obsession or problem isn't enough. I'm going to do something about it. Actually, in my case, I'm going to stop doing something about it. Not that I am giving up on the idea that I will ever find true love, but I am no longer going to search actively and desperately for this ideal guy that fits some silly criteria. Instead, I will bank on the promise that God is more than enough for all of my every need, including my need for love.

When the Lord divided Canaan among the tribes of Israel, Levi received no share of the land. God said to him simply, “I am your part and your inheritance,” and by those words made him richer than all his brethren, richer than all the kings and rajas who have ever lived in the world. And there is a spiritual principle here, a principle still valid for every priest of the Most High God.

The man who has God for his treasure has all things in One. Many ordinary treasures may be denied him, or if he is allowed to have them, the enjoyment of them will be so tempered that they will never be necessary to his happiness. Or if he must see them go, one after one, he will scarcely feel a sense of loss, for having the Source of all things, he has in One all satisfaction, all pleasure, all delight. Whatever he may lose, he has actually lost nothing, for he now has it all in One, and he has it purely, legitimately, and forever.


-The Pursuit of God, A.W. Tozer

Comments

:) miss youuuu. best entry.
i'm presenting on a paper based on Bandura's social cognitive theory today! self-efficacy and observational learning ftw.
you and sau should put a bunch of those childhood clips in there. those are still the best.
Sandy said…
yay, so happy to read an update from you!

also, i liked hearing more about your religious thoughts! it's such a big part of you, so i feel like i get a better sense of things when you do. :) i'm really happy you're taking the perspective you are on love, it feels like the most peaceful, trusting path you can take.

last, warheards!! cute! i'm glad you're brother is around. if i hear of any opportunities i'll be sure to send them your way.

we shall have to skype soon! miss you!
Jocelyn Ong said…
this entry put a big smile on my face, and i'll let my mom know you miss her~ i'm uber happy you found a church you like! :D you gotta tell sau guh to pray for his job too, we're praying for him! look what prayers did for you :D our God is good!!
Jess-ca said…
I love you, Tiff! I am so excited to have all that time on the road to catch up in June.

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

i'm sitting in the middle of my bed. it's really comfortable, definitely a lot bigger than my twin mattress. my arms and legs are tired from unpacking, but before i sleep, i wanted to write a little something. around 8pm this evening, we finally pulled into the drive way and opened the door to an extremely excited cody. the ride from norcal was pretty smooth, save the first day when it was raining really hard. yesterday, we spent the night in diamond bar, because 15 hours of straight driving would be too tough on my brother, especially when my mom still has jetlag, and neither of them want me behind the wheel. that reminds me, i going to need to start driving again. yikes. anyway, most of my belongings are put away now, but a lot of my clothes and books are still scattered around the floor, because i don't have any bookshelves or even a dresser at the moment. right now, tucson isn't too different from the bay area in terms of weather. according to my desktop widget, it&

Parallel Characters

King Kong was on TNT over the weekend. I tuned in and loved it just as much as I did when I watched it in the theater. I wanted to write an essay afterward! The relationship between Anne and the ape was so touching, and I enjoyed that they were parallel characters-- she not belonging in his world, he not belonging in hers; both lose the people they cherish, and both protect the other from danger; at many points in the plot, they were bound physically and emotionally to each other.  When they're together, they have that companionship they seek.