Skip to main content

In 2017

Better late than never!

What did you do in 2017 that you'd never done before?
I attended my grandma’s funeral, saw the Backstreet Boys in concert in Vegas, saw Ali Wong live in SF, saw Demetri Martin live in Reno, switched to an Android phone, got pregnant, traveled to London, visited the Warner Bros. studio tour for Harry Potter, visited Stonehenge, took a glucose test, went to a hockey game, remodeled our home, was admitted to the hospital, had a blood transfusion, and, oh yes, had a baby!

Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for 2018?
My resolutions last year were to read the Bible more consistently and get in better shape. I kept up my reading resolution for maybe the first quarter of the year (so fail), and since I got pregnant, I took a break from the gym to be extra cautious. For 2018, I want to take it easy and give myself grace when it comes to losing the baby weight and getting back to my old self again. I do also want to read the Bible more consistently. That’s a life-long resolution.

Did anyone close to you give birth?
Jenny Cheng!

Did anyone close to you die?
My grandma

What countries did you visit?
England

What would you like to have in 2018 that you lacked in 2017?
I can’t think of anything in particular that I lacked in 2017; however, as a brand new mom, I can see 2018 be filled with self-doubt and anxiety about raising my baby. I would like to have the confidence to trust my decisions for Jubilee and the grace to forgive myself when I feel like I’m not doing enough for her and Chris. Also, I would like to have more alone time with Chris. Marital satisfaction is so important not only for me and him but also for Jubilee’s emotional growth and identity.

What date(s) from 2017 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
December 29, my daughter’s birthday – I believe I’ll also remember the whole birthing experience and arduous recovery.

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Having a healthy, normal pregnancy and giving birth to a 9-pound baby

What was your biggest failure?
Not keeping my resolutions

Did you suffer illness or injury?
I lost a lot of blood and tissue from childbirth.

What was the best thing you bought?
The remodel – complete renovation of the master and guest bathrooms, new carpeting in both bedrooms, and laminate floors throughout the living room, dining room, and kitchen

Whose behavior merited celebration?
Honestly? Mine :) And Chris, for being my rock during childbirth and for taking amazing care of me and Jubilee at home while I’m on bed rest; also my parents, for coming over everyday since I’ve been home to help cook, clean, and watch the baby while I recover

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Coworkers, the night nurse after I had the baby, and of course, our president

Where did most of your money go?
Doctor’s and hospital bill

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Getting pregnant, going on the HP tour, finding out that I was having a girl, and taking off from work after Thanksgiving

What song(s) will always remind you of 2017?
La La Land original soundtrack, Perfect by Ed Sheeran, What Lovers Do by Maroon 5 ft. SZA, Baby Mine from Dumbo

Compared to this time last year, are you:
Wiser?  Yes
Healthier?  No
Richer?  Same

What do you wish you'd done more of?
Exercise during pregnancy

What do you wish you'd done less of?
Being angry and resentful toward annoying people.. such a waste of time, because they didn’t even know I was upset!

How did you spend Christmas?
Chris and I spent Christmas with my family. His parents had driven up for the holidays and were there to celebrate with us too. Tien, James, and Stacey were Christmas orphans, so we welcomed them in as well. It was really fun to have such a full house. My dad made an array of Chinese food, including one of my favorite dishes, his sweet and sour pork. The memory is extra special for me, because it was the last time Chris and I were a family of two.

What new hobbies did you pick up?
I know pregnancy isn’t a hobby, but the whole experience was quite amusing. Finding out each week what new fruit or vegetable size she’s comparable to, feeling her move inside me, seeing her on the ultrasound, learning to maneuver with a big belly, waddling around at home and work, not caring about gaining weight… It was exciting. It was fun and cute until the third trimester. Oh, how tiring was the third trimester.

What was your favorite TV program?
I watched all 11 seasons of Cheers, although I didn’t like it that much. The shows that I did like were Girls, Call the Midwife, Stranger Things S2, The Great British Baking Show, Fate/Stay Night, The Ranch, and Archer

Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I’m going to change this question to “What did you do for your wedding anniversary?” Chris and I celebrated our 2-year anniversary. We went to La Fondue in Saratoga for dinner. We had truffle cheese fondue and all sorts of exotic meats like alligator, antelope, buffalo, kangaroo, wild boar, and venison. For dessert, we had chocolate fondue with unlimited refills of fruits, pound cake, candies, and éclairs!

What was the best book(s) you read?
I reread Harry Potter

What was your greatest musical discovery?
I discovered TPR on Spotify, an artist who remakes old school video game music like the Final Fantasy series and Chrono Trigger. Also, IAmDSharp on YouTube is an awesome violinist who does renditions of popular hits. He’s so fun to watch as well.

What did you want and get?
A healthy baby girl

What did you want and not get?
My own OB to deliver Jubilee

What was your favorite film(s) of this year?
Thor Ragnarok and Star Wars: The Last Jedi

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
For my 32nd birthday, Chris took me to Papillon for a nice French dinner. It was very romantic.

What’s one thing that would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not suffering the injuries that I did during labor and delivery

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2017?
Maternity wear! Leggings, leggings, leggings

What kept you sane?
Talking with good friends, watching my favorite YouTube channels, and praying

Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Adam Driver

What political issue stirred you the most?
Sigh... where do I even start on this when the president is a moron?

Who did you miss?
The old me before all this change happened

Who was the best new person you met?
Jubilee Weingartner

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2017.
There is no use fighting against showing my husband my most vulnerable side and moments. I’ve always been a strong, independent, and pristine partner, but after the baby, he’s seen me at my lowest, most humiliating point; and he loves me. I guess the lesson is allowing myself to be seen wholly and truly by Chris. I also have a new, immensely deep respect for all women who have given birth, recovered, and bounced back to be even greater women and mothers.

Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Hold on
Is this really the life I am living
‘Cause I don't feel like I deserve it
Every day that I wake, every breath that I take, You've given

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

i'm sitting in the middle of my bed. it's really comfortable, definitely a lot bigger than my twin mattress. my arms and legs are tired from unpacking, but before i sleep, i wanted to write a little something. around 8pm this evening, we finally pulled into the drive way and opened the door to an extremely excited cody. the ride from norcal was pretty smooth, save the first day when it was raining really hard. yesterday, we spent the night in diamond bar, because 15 hours of straight driving would be too tough on my brother, especially when my mom still has jetlag, and neither of them want me behind the wheel. that reminds me, i going to need to start driving again. yikes. anyway, most of my belongings are put away now, but a lot of my clothes and books are still scattered around the floor, because i don't have any bookshelves or even a dresser at the moment. right now, tucson isn't too different from the bay area in terms of weather. according to my desktop widget, it&

All Things In One

What have I been up to? Home: Living in the South Bay has been a pretty good experience. I didn't think I would like it (compared to the city) or get used to driving, but I very much enjoy speeding down the freeway and listening to the radio every day. Traffic is almost always terrible when I'm on the road, but it's expected. The wonderful part is that I have a lovely place to call home. I look forward to spending time with my house mates, even if it means listening to the three of them play games next to me while I'm text-twisting on my laptop. There are so many different ethnic restaurants around the area. The other night, I had some pretty delicious Malaysian cuisine. It reminded me of my aunt next door in Tucson, and how much I miss her (and her cooking). Work: Many people know from my status updates on Facebook, and a select few have heard the long, agonizing stories of how frustrating it has been at work for the past month. Recruitment for our study has bee

Parallel Characters

King Kong was on TNT over the weekend. I tuned in and loved it just as much as I did when I watched it in the theater. I wanted to write an essay afterward! The relationship between Anne and the ape was so touching, and I enjoyed that they were parallel characters-- she not belonging in his world, he not belonging in hers; both lose the people they cherish, and both protect the other from danger; at many points in the plot, they were bound physically and emotionally to each other.  When they're together, they have that companionship they seek.