Skip to main content

In 2018


What did you do in 2018 that you'd never done before?
I was a mom and also worked full time. I fed my baby with my body for 5 months. I cradled her to sleep each night. I wiped away her tears after each stumble, nightmare, and vaccination. I laughed when she was happy, cried when she was sad, and missed her desperately when we were apart. I taught her how to clap her hands, point to objects, and say simple phrases. During the hard days, I longed for my life before her, but then she hugs my face and calls me Mama, and I cannot imagine my life without her. Before 2018, I had never doubted myself more or disagreed with Chris so much; however, through these growing pains our relationship has never been stronger, and I’m gradually (re)building self-confidence again.

Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for 2019?
My resolution last year was to take it easy and give myself grace when it comes to losing the baby weight and getting back to my old self again. It was definitely a struggle. I did begin to go back to the gym although not as consistently as before. Perhaps I won’t make any resolutions for 2019; instead, I will remind myself daily to take care of my health, whether that is physical, emotional, or spiritual.

Did anyone close to you give birth?
Jamie had Rosie, Joanna had Isabella, and my cousin had Elli!

Did anyone close to you die?
My grandpa

What countries did you visit?
Not much traveling this year

What would you like to have in 2019 that you lacked in 2018?
My old self-esteem back. Actually, reading through my answers from last year as well as the years before, I noticed that I have always been incredibly preoccupied with my weight and body image. I’m really so, so tired of that – so tired of being happy only if I look fit, and feeling tremendous guilt for not working out, because that meant I’m getting fat. I don’t know how to stop, but I want to move forward in life without this burden. I especially don’t want to pass this affliction on to Jubilee.

What date(s) from 2018 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The year is filled to the brim with countless memories of my baby and her firsts. It’s hard to pinpoint any one date that I’ll remember forever. What remains etched in my memory is how I felt when she took her first bite of solid food, and took her first steps without any help, and the way she looked when she first recognized my face when I came home from work one day. I’ll remember how she loves the Itsy Bitsy Spider, the part where the rain came down and washed the spider out. I’ll remember the way she blows air out of her nose to make me laugh, and points to the buttons on my headboard when she sleeps in bed with me. I’ll remember how she tightly cradles her stuffed animals and pats them on the back the way we do to her. I’ll forever remember her first birthday – her dresses, her cake, her Precious Moments present – and cherish these moments in my heart until I die.

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Being a full-time working mom

What was your biggest failure?
The times I accidentally physically hurt Jubilee, because I wasn’t watching as carefully as I should

Did you suffer illness or injury?
A blow to my ego each time someone reminded me that I’ve gained weight

What was the best thing you bought?
My Bose headphones

Whose behavior merited celebration?
My mom and dad acted as a second set of parents for Jubilee. There is nothing they won’t do for my daughter, and Chris and I cannot appreciate them enough.

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
A close friend stopped talking to me. I was truly hurt and do still feel upset if I’m being honest, but I guess we all have to decide who’s worth keeping in our lives.

Where did most of your money go?
Formula, diapers, formula, diapers, formula, diapers…

What did you get really, really excited about?
Amanda and Jason’s wedding, visiting the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Hollywood, being able to wear my pre-baby jeans again, the beautiful fountain pen that Chris gave me for Christmas, Bejer’s news

What did you get really, really sad about?
Going back to work after maternity leave and Bejer’s news

What song(s) will always remind you of 2018?
I Don’t Want To Miss a Thing by Aerosmith

Compared to this time last year, are you:
Wiser?  Yes
Healthier?  No
Richer?  Yes

What do you wish you'd done more of?
Be patient when my baby was having a meltdown

What do you wish you'd done less of?
Feel guilty for not working out

How did you spend Christmas?
We spent Christmas with my parents in Newark. Tien and James came over, since they were working through the week and couldn’t fly home to Phoenix. Jubilee had so much fun tearing open presents and putting all the wrapping paper in her mouth.

What new hobbies did you pick up?
Changing dirty diapers

What was your favorite TV program?
AKA what I’ve binged on Netflix: The Great British Baking Show, Call The Midwife, Disenchantment, The Bare Bears, Law and Order: SVU, Nailed It, Queer Eye, Archer, and Friends

What did you do for your wedding anniversary?
Chris and I celebrated our 3-year anniversary. He sent a big, beautiful bouquet of flowers to my office! He wrote the sweetest card. He took me to dinner at Morten’s for seafood, steak, and soufflé. He was so romantic, and it made me emotional. I didn’t prepare anything for him, but he certainly knew how to wine and dine his wife who’s been feeling burnt out.

What was the best book(s) you read?
To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before, P.S. I Still Love You, and Always and Forever, Lara Jean

What was your greatest musical discovery?
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

What did you want and get?
A Kaweco fountain pen and an Instant Pot

What did you want and not get?
A wax seal kit and a Dyson vacuum

What was your favorite film(s) of this year?
I didn’t watch too many 2018 movies… maybe Ocean’s 8?

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 33 about a month after giving birth, so I was feeling really tired and ugly. Chris took me to a nice sushi place, because I had craved yellowtail sashimi throughout my pregnancy. Afterward, we got dessert at McDonalds! It was very sweet and low-key. I felt very loved and appreciated the night off.

What’s one thing that would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If my mother-in-law were more understanding

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2018?
Lots of loose-fitting tops with the same pair of jeans. It was a year of “as long as it fits and covers my rolls.”

What kept you sane?
My parents being one phone call away to take Jubilee if we needed a break

Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Chrissy Teigen

What political issue stirred you the most?
Gun control

Who did you miss?
Me time

Who was the best new person you met?
Jubilee’s doctor

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2018.
Never wake a sleeping baby

Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I could stay awake just to hear you breathing
Watch you smile while you are sleeping, while you’re far away and dreaming
I could spend my life in this sweet surrender
I could stay lost in this moment forever
Every moment spent with you is a moment I treasure

Comments

Sandy said…
Oh Tiffany. I love you so much, and again, am so proud of you and all that you have done this year. I also fully support your new resolution and your thoughts on self-esteem, and can't wait to talk more about it the next time we hang out. <3

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

i'm sitting in the middle of my bed. it's really comfortable, definitely a lot bigger than my twin mattress. my arms and legs are tired from unpacking, but before i sleep, i wanted to write a little something. around 8pm this evening, we finally pulled into the drive way and opened the door to an extremely excited cody. the ride from norcal was pretty smooth, save the first day when it was raining really hard. yesterday, we spent the night in diamond bar, because 15 hours of straight driving would be too tough on my brother, especially when my mom still has jetlag, and neither of them want me behind the wheel. that reminds me, i going to need to start driving again. yikes. anyway, most of my belongings are put away now, but a lot of my clothes and books are still scattered around the floor, because i don't have any bookshelves or even a dresser at the moment. right now, tucson isn't too different from the bay area in terms of weather. according to my desktop widget, it&

All Things In One

What have I been up to? Home: Living in the South Bay has been a pretty good experience. I didn't think I would like it (compared to the city) or get used to driving, but I very much enjoy speeding down the freeway and listening to the radio every day. Traffic is almost always terrible when I'm on the road, but it's expected. The wonderful part is that I have a lovely place to call home. I look forward to spending time with my house mates, even if it means listening to the three of them play games next to me while I'm text-twisting on my laptop. There are so many different ethnic restaurants around the area. The other night, I had some pretty delicious Malaysian cuisine. It reminded me of my aunt next door in Tucson, and how much I miss her (and her cooking). Work: Many people know from my status updates on Facebook, and a select few have heard the long, agonizing stories of how frustrating it has been at work for the past month. Recruitment for our study has bee

Parallel Characters

King Kong was on TNT over the weekend. I tuned in and loved it just as much as I did when I watched it in the theater. I wanted to write an essay afterward! The relationship between Anne and the ape was so touching, and I enjoyed that they were parallel characters-- she not belonging in his world, he not belonging in hers; both lose the people they cherish, and both protect the other from danger; at many points in the plot, they were bound physically and emotionally to each other.  When they're together, they have that companionship they seek.