Skip to main content

In 2019

1.     What did you do last year that you had never done before?
Ever since Jubilee was born, many of the things that I had never done before are related to her experiencing things for the very first time. Things like taking care of a sick baby because she got a fever first the first time, or flying with my baby because she traveled by airplane for the first time. It’s hard to distinguish my firsts from her firsts; we’re learning together, and it’s been amazing. A few more firsts for us were visiting the zoo, visiting the children’s museum in San Jose, potty training, getting her passport, trick-or-treating, and singing songs together. As for myself, I went on my first business trip since having Jubilee, got into a major accident last spring that totaled my car (the guy did a hit and run on the freeway), went to House of Prime Rib, planned a baby shower, tried my hand at calligraphy, cried at work, and successfully cooked kalua pork, mushroom risotto, and meatloaf!

2.     Did you keep your resolutions and will you make more for this year?
I did not make any specific resolutions last year but said I would take care of my health. I do believe I achieved this! Starting in the summer, I began to pay close attention to my caloric intake and exercised when I could. Even if it would only be 20 minutes at the gym, 20 minutes was better than 0 minutes. I got back down to my pre-baby weight and was finally able to fit into most of my pre-pregnancy clothes again! It wasn’t just about the physical weight loss, but I got my self-confidence back on track, and I’m really proud of that. For 2020, I’m going to continue taking care of my health. On a separate note, I want to print more photos. One of the things that Chris and I have been talking about is to buy a house as we also plan to expand our family. It would be wonderful to fill a new space with lots of pictures of our family and our friends. Oh, and I’m going to take Jubilee to Disneyland.

3.     Did anyone close to you give birth?
Bebe

4.     Did anyone close to you die?
No

5.     Where did you travel?
In August, Chris and I went to Pacifica for a weekend getaway without Jubilee. It was sort of like a couples retreat with a group of our friends. Then in December, the three of us flew down to spend Christmas with Chris’s family in Murrieta and visited the San Diego zoo while we were in town.

6.     What would you like to have this year that you lacked last year?
I’d love to move from our condo into a house and perhaps have another baby.

7.     What dates will remain etched in your memory?
Mar 3 – On the way home from Noah’s Ark, we were struck hard by a speeding individual who ran off after he left my vehicle totaled on the freeway. The impact was largely to the passenger’s side, where Chris was sitting. I was driving, and Jubilee was in her car seat behind me. I was thankful that none of us were seriously injured, but I was sad that my car was gone. I had bought it only a year and a half ago. A week later, I replaced it with the 2019 Touring version of my car. Out of the ashes, the majestic phoenix rises again.

May 17 – My brother and Rebekah got married. It was beautiful to see him so loved and very much grown up on his wedding day. Everyone had the kindest words to say about him, because he truly is the most selfless person I know. Jubilee was a flower girl and stole the show during the ceremony. It was absolutely ridiculous how cute she looked in her little white dress and flower crown, which she tore off her head immediately after stepping into the church.

Dec 17 – Bebe gave birth to Emma. Since Bebe is more like a sister to me than a friend, I felt like a proud aunt whose niece was born. Particularly after the loss that she and Jerry went through the year before, I was beaming with radiant joy when I finally held my teeny tiny goddaughter in my arms.

Dec 29 – Jubilee turned 2. I made up a separate question below to talk about her birthdays from now on. The pride and joy that I feel to be her mom is so powerful; how did I get this lucky? I often can’t express myself apart from crying tears of awe and thankfulness.

8.     What was your biggest achievement?
I finished one of the biggest and most complex proposals we’ve ever worked on in my team. It was the most challenging project I’ve ever worked on and left me feeling drained. I’ve since been on a stretch assignment doing something else, but I think I’ll get back to leading proposals full time again in 2020. One pretty neat thing when the proposal finally got on contract was getting recognized by the director of our line of business. He commended and thanked me for my effort, and he threw in a nice little bonus for getting the job done.

9.     What was your biggest failure?
I can’t think of a specific experience where I felt like I failed. I know that during development of the aforementioned proposal, there were several moments when I wanted to throw in the towel. I was so close to quitting that project and even told my boss that I wanted to stop. He encouraged me not to quit, and although I’m glad I eventually saw it through, I sometimes wish I never got that deep into the proposal in the first place. I know now what I can handle and how far I can stretch, but more importantly, I learned that just because I can stretch myself thin, it’s sometimes not worth the sacrifice. Most importantly, I learned that that’s okay.

10.  Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not that I can recall

11.  What was the best thing you bought?
My new car and my Holly Golightly costume

12.  Whose behavior merited celebration?
It’s hard not to say Jubilee from now on, particularly right now as she’s soaking up everything she sees and hears, learning about the world around her. She’s speaking so much, mostly in Chinese but also a lot of English. She is very musical. She can sing several songs (on key!) and loves to listen to tracks from Frozen, Moana, and the Lion King. She attempts every obstacle on the playground fearlessly, and she knows when she has mastered a climb, because she’ll squeal and clap her hands and jump up and down excitedly. Watching her learn has been emotional, especially when she learns the hard way, like burning her hand against the fireplace because she wouldn’t trust our direction to steer clear from it.

13.  Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
I can think of typical answers like the country’s leaders, but in my personal circle, I can’t say I was depressed by anyone’s behavior. The usual people who aggravate me still aggravated me, but I’ve come to expect that from them.

14.  Where did most of your money go?
Paying back my student loan for the rest of my life. Haha, I guess aside from that, I’ve been spending less on eating out for lunch and instead buying groceries each week to meal prep. It’s been a fun activity cooking with Chris on Sunday nights and packing up our lunches. Quite a money-saving idea as well! I’ve also spent more on myself, something I rarely do. It’s nothing crazy, but I’ve finally reached an income level where I’m more comfortable purchasing whatever I desire. Like a $25 mascara at Sephora instead of a $12 one at Target :p

15.  What did you get really excited about?
I found my ugly Christmas sweater! My brother had it in his closet for years not knowing it was there. My mom had put it there, because she thought it was his.

16.  What did you get really sad about?
Losing my Forester and then feeling scared to drive months after the accident

17.  What songs will always remind you of last year?
I think I’ll always remember those Cocomelon nursery songs that Jubilee loves to watch hundreds of times in a row.

18.  Compared to this time last year, are you wiser? Healthier? Richer?
Yes on all three accounts

19.  What did you wish you had done more of?
I used to journal everyday. Realistically, I don’t think I have the time or energy to do that these days, but I wish I captured my thoughts more often. In attempts to practice my handwriting with a fountain pen, I started to write a little more toward the end of last year, even if it’s a few sentences that talked about the events of the day. At least it’s something.

20.  What did you wish you had done less of?
Sleeping in just a little bit longer. I did that way too often last year, and as a result, I had been late to work on several occasions. I used to wake up immediately when my alarm rang. Not that I was fully awake, but I never let myself linger or hit snooze. Obviously with a baby, I’m more tired than I have ever been before, so it’s almost impossible to force myself to get out of bed in the mornings when another 15 minutes feels so good.

21.  How did you spend Christmas?
On Christmas Eve, we flew down to Ontario and rented a car to drive to Murrieta. We opened presents on Christmas Day and spent time with Chris’s parents at home. The next day, we drove down to San Diego to take Jubilee to the zoo for the first time. She loved seeing all the animals! It was really cute. Everything was either a cow or an elephant. Before leaving the zoo, we stopped by the gift shop, and she picked out this small giraffe. She calls it her “chang jing oo!”

22.  What new hobbies did you pick up?
Thanks to Sandy for inspiring me to try new things, I started to write with a fountain pen. Chris got one for me last Christmas, and it’s so pretty. I love it! I’ve been playing with inks that Vincent gave me. I’ve also started to dabble a little in watercoloring (also thanks to Sandy). It’s fun to be creative in these new ways!

23.  What was your favorite TV program?
3Below, Stranger Things, Queer Eye, Call the Midwife, Great British Baking Show, We Bare Bears, murder shows, any nature show where David Attenborough narrates

24.  What did you do for your anniversary?
Chris and I celebrated Year 4 at Scott’s Seafood in Downtown San Jose. There was a small two-man band that evening that played jazzy covers of classic show tunes, and we had fun guessing the songs. Like every year, we reflected on our marriage in the last year and agreed that although it was harder with a baby, we’ve never felt closer. I admitted to feeling unhappy at the beginning of the year, although I could not pinpoint what was making me unhappy; but it seemed that with more and frequent conversation, I grew more in love and satisfaction as the year progressed. We started to do weekly devotions together and prayed for each other out loud.

25.  What were the best books you read?
I got into Webtoon comics: Lore Olympus and Let’s Play. I also got into romance novels, thanks again to Sandy! Code Name Verity, All the Light We Cannot See, Big Little Lies are some favorites as well.

26.  What was your greatest musical discovery?
Two words: Disney Karaoke

27.  What did you want and get?
Ginkgo leaves wax stamp, Drunk Elephant polypeptide moisturizer, to fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes

28.  What did you want and not get?
Jubilee to sleep through the night again

29.  What were your favorite films of the year?
The only movies that I watched in theaters were Avengers Endgame and Spiderman: Far From Home.

30.  What did you do for your birthday?
I went to Jack’s with Chris and Jubilee and Bebe and Jerry.

31.  How did you celebrate Jubilee’s birthday?
We had a spectacular sushi dinner that my dad prepared, and I bought a small Chantilly cake for Jubilee. She blew out her candles this year, and she loved doing it so much that we lit them again and again for her to blow them out. She knows the birthday song, so she was really excited to hear us sing for her! Rebekah and my brother got her this play set of cleaning supplies, like a broom, mop, and duster, hahah! It’s really funny actually, because she loves to pretend clean with our vacuums and Swiffers, so now she has her own set in her size. Chris and I got her a three-wheel scooter and a little plastic cup with the initial J on it. It’s a “real” cup and not a sippy cup, so she loves drinking her cocoa (aka “baby coffee”) like a big girl.

32.  What’s one thing that would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If we bought a house, but then that’s what this year is for. It isn’t a critical thing for us, and to say the least, it’s a humongous financial investment, so Chris and I are taking this decision very slowly and carefully. Besides, I already feel like I have everything in the world. I already feel like it’s not fair that I’m this lucky.

33.  How would you describe your personal fashion concept?
Jeans, tees, and a knitted cardigan sweater

34.  What kept you sane?
Having amazing, supportive family and friends who constantly check on me. Also Netflix.

35.  Which celebrity or public figure did you fancy the most?
Chris Evans

36.  What political issue stirred you the most?
Too many to list, but largely women’s reproductive rights

37.  Who did you miss?
My friend who isn’t my friend anymore

38.  Who was the best new person you met?
Emma Chiao

39.  What is a valuable life lesson you learned?
Let Jubilee be a kid. Shortly after Thanksgiving, the empty dirt lot outside our neighborhood began its setting up for the annual Christmas tree sale. Chris and I decided to take Jubilee for a walk to look at all the pretty trees. It had been rainy for a few days, so the lot was muddy and filled with branches. Jubilee squealed in delight as she ran from branch to branch, picking up one after another. I was growing uneasy by the second. Her shoes were getting so dirty. Her leggings were also getting dirty from all the mud kicked up from her running around. Her hands were filthy from holding tree branches. I started to scold her, but Chris told me that this is what kids do. They find sticks and then find bigger, better sticks. They get dirty. Their clothes get dirty. These things can be washed, but running around like this is what makes childhood fun. He proceeded to teach Jubilee how to hold the stick against the chain link fence while running, which made her so happy. I watched her laugh the entire time and enjoy herself. I’m glad Chris intervened and reminded me what was important.

40.  What is a song lyric that sums up your year?
Our lives are made in these small hours
These little wonders, these twists and turns of fate
Time falls away, but these small hours
These small hours still remain

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

i'm sitting in the middle of my bed. it's really comfortable, definitely a lot bigger than my twin mattress. my arms and legs are tired from unpacking, but before i sleep, i wanted to write a little something. around 8pm this evening, we finally pulled into the drive way and opened the door to an extremely excited cody. the ride from norcal was pretty smooth, save the first day when it was raining really hard. yesterday, we spent the night in diamond bar, because 15 hours of straight driving would be too tough on my brother, especially when my mom still has jetlag, and neither of them want me behind the wheel. that reminds me, i going to need to start driving again. yikes. anyway, most of my belongings are put away now, but a lot of my clothes and books are still scattered around the floor, because i don't have any bookshelves or even a dresser at the moment. right now, tucson isn't too different from the bay area in terms of weather. according to my desktop widget, it&

All Things In One

What have I been up to? Home: Living in the South Bay has been a pretty good experience. I didn't think I would like it (compared to the city) or get used to driving, but I very much enjoy speeding down the freeway and listening to the radio every day. Traffic is almost always terrible when I'm on the road, but it's expected. The wonderful part is that I have a lovely place to call home. I look forward to spending time with my house mates, even if it means listening to the three of them play games next to me while I'm text-twisting on my laptop. There are so many different ethnic restaurants around the area. The other night, I had some pretty delicious Malaysian cuisine. It reminded me of my aunt next door in Tucson, and how much I miss her (and her cooking). Work: Many people know from my status updates on Facebook, and a select few have heard the long, agonizing stories of how frustrating it has been at work for the past month. Recruitment for our study has bee

Parallel Characters

King Kong was on TNT over the weekend. I tuned in and loved it just as much as I did when I watched it in the theater. I wanted to write an essay afterward! The relationship between Anne and the ape was so touching, and I enjoyed that they were parallel characters-- she not belonging in his world, he not belonging in hers; both lose the people they cherish, and both protect the other from danger; at many points in the plot, they were bound physically and emotionally to each other.  When they're together, they have that companionship they seek.