Skip to main content

In 2020

What did you do last year that you had never done before?
2020 was certainly an interesting year! With COVID-19 running amok, I have been sheltering in place along with the rest of California since March, mostly going out for groceries and letting Jubilee run around in the parking lot. Chris and I have never worked from home together and for this long. It was a big challenge in the beginning, but we’ve gotten the hang of it these days with me in the dining room, he in the second bedroom, and my parents coming over every weekday morning to take Jubilee to their house. The first couple of weeks before they decided to take Jubilee during work hours were crazy. Trying to juggle our work meetings throughout the day while our incredibly active (and LOUD) toddler required our attention- and only when we’re on the phone, I should add- was a true test of patience. Wearing a mask in public, not being able to socialize in person with friends, not having Chris by my side during pre-natal appointments, and actually, not getting sick even once in a year, were other firsts for me. I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes in November, so I’ve since had to prick my finger 4x a day to measure my glucose levels. I formed a little book club with a couple of friends and read for pleasure more than I’ve ever done before. Chris and I took Jubilee to the beach and to the snow for the first time, and both were some the cutest and sweetest memories to watch her discover. I got pregnant with our second baby and had extreme fatigue and very bad nausea well into the second trimester. We’re having a boy though, so there are a lot more new things to come in the new year!

Did you keep your resolutions and will you make more for this year?
Last year, I wrote that I wanted to take care of my health, print more photos, expand our family, possibly buy a house, and take Jubilee to Disneyland. I’m not sure how I’d categorize my health. I have GDM, but I’ve been paying extra attention to eating well and exercising. I guess this also means we successfully expanded the family! Toward the end of the year, we finally did call a realtor to begin the process of getting our condo on the market. Hopefully in 2021 we’ll have a bigger house to call home! THEN I’ll print more photos for sure. Oh, and due to COVID, that would be a no to Disneyland. Unfortunately, now that Jubilee turned 3, she’ll require a ticket to get in the park. Boo.

Did anyone close to you give birth?
Tien (Charlotte), Kiki (Zaiden), and Bonnie (Theo)

Did anyone close to you die?
No, thankfully

Where did you travel?
I went to Dallas for a business trip in early March, and immediately following my return, the statewide SIP order went into effect. The only other place where I traveled was to Truckee in December for a weekend. Chris and I took Jubes to see the snow for the first time, and she loved it.

What would you like to have this year that you lacked last year?
To see my friends in person and hang out again like we used to. To have respectable leaders in our government’s leadership who stand up for justice and not for their own agenda.

What dates will remain etched in your memory?
I don’t know that particular dates stand out in 2020. It felt mostly like a blur of ridiculous events in the world outside, and mundane monotony inside the house with the day-to-day repetition. However, I will remember the wonderful feeling over the summer of finding out that I was pregnant again, and how a few months later I cried happy tears when the doctor told me over the phone that I was having a little boy. I hit my 5-year work anniversary in September, which was big. I will also remember doing the most research I’ve ever done in deciding who and what to vote for in 2020’s big election. It felt satisfying to know that I did my due diligence, even though not every policy that I voted for passed. For the first time, I personally saw democracy unfold, that it was something more than mere head knowledge for me. I know that I participated in something huge/historical, and that means a lot. 

What was your biggest achievement?
Surviving a world pandemic being locked down at home, working at home, staying sane with my husband and child at home, and doing all this while growing a new life inside my body.

What was your biggest failure?
I hate when I lose my cool when dealing with Jubilee. I can’t think of very specific examples, but when it does happen, I feel like a failure. 

Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just the pregnancy-related discomforts but nothing major

What was the best thing you bought?
My Kindle

Whose behavior merited celebration?
I hope this does not sound trite, but all of the healthcare workers and first responders that have been tirelessly toiling in the face of COVID to help treat and save lives. Also, the researchers who incredibly and successfully pushed a vaccine in record speed to combat this virus. And our new president and VP! Excited to see how the new administration course corrects this country into the right direction toward healing and integrity. 

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
This one is very difficult for me to admit, but my parents and I disagreed on politics in 2020 with the big election. It was not so much the political disagreement as it was the motivation behind their decision to vote for Trump. I had an extremely hard time understanding how we can both call ourselves Christians yet hold such differing opinions about fundamental beliefs about love and justice. It was more depressing for me though, because they were able to “agree to disagree” whereas I tossed and turned for several sleepless nights, struggling to bridge my love for them and the respect for them that I was rapidly losing. In the end, we are fine; however, it was the first time in my life that I couldn’t hold them in the high esteem that I’ve always done, and it was scary, extremely uncomfortable, saddening, and made me feel utterly lost.

Where did most of your money go?
Medical bills, like a ridiculous amount, because my health insurance sucked

What did you get really excited about?
Getting pregnant, being able to work from home during COVID (not so much excited as grateful), creating and participating in a monthly book club with my friends, and finally learning that Biden won

What did you get really sad about?
Gestational diabetes, arguing with my parents about religion and politics, and when Jubilee got the stomach flu for a day

What songs will always remind you of last year?
I literally have no idea. Didn’t listen much to the radio in 2020.

Compared to this time last year, are you wiser? Healthier? Richer?
Yes, no, and yes

What did you wish you had done more of?
Not sure. There were a lot of things that we couldn’t do because of COVID. If I had more time and energy, I wish I could have learned new hobbies, like maybe paint or do needlework. 

What did you wish you had done less of?
I wish I didn’t have so much nausea and fatigue with this pregnancy, so that I could have been more physically active through the year. 

How did you spend Christmas?
We spent Christmas Eve just the three of us at home. I baked ham and potatoes for dinner and bought Dutch apple pie for dessert. On Christmas Day, we had dinner with my parents and watched Jubilee open presents. She was SO excited, squealing and laughing with each gift. It felt amazing to watch her happiness and know that I contributed to that level of joy. We also celebrated the day after Christmas with my brother and Rebekah, and Jubilee got to open presents again. Overall, it was a much-needed relaxing holiday.

What new hobbies did you pick up?
Starting toward the end of 2019, I started to read a lot more. I bought a Kindle in 2020 and dove into the world of e-books. I read over 40 books and absolutely fell in love with reading, so that it feels weird not having a book to look forward to at the end of the day.  

What were your favorite TV programs?
The Witcher, Picard, Kingdom, Locke and Key, Space Force, Schitt’s Creek, Wizards, Haunting of Bly Manor, The Good Place, The Queen’s Gambit, The Mandalorian, The Great British Bakeoff, Call the Midwife, and Deep Space Nine

What did you do for your anniversary?
Chris and I celebrated Year 5 at Teske’s Germania in San Jose. Certain restaurants were open for outdoor seating, and we were able to secure a nice table in their courtyard area for a delicious German dinner. Because I was pregnant, I couldn’t drink with him, but we toasted to our marriage and little family. We had wanted to go away for the weekend but ultimately decided against traveling due to COVID. 

What were the best books you read?
The Lunar Chronicles, Educated, Where the Crawdads Sing, Of Mice and Men, The Art of Fielding, The Ravenels series, Dad is Fat, Dear Girls, The Hate U Give, There There, Before We Were Yours, Call the Midwife, The Kiss Quotient, How to Stop Time, and Emma

What was your greatest musical discovery?
Lo-fi music! I’ve been missing out for sure.

What did you want and get?
Pregnant!

What did you want and not get?
To visit New York City with Chris and Jubilee, attend Manly’s wedding, and take Jubilee to Disneyland

What were your favorite films?
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, Onward, Green Book, The Report, Rocketman, and Emma

What did you do for your birthday?
Chris took me to Naschmarkt Restaurant, an Austrian restaurant in Campbell. It was a very romantic way to ring in 35. 

How did you celebrate Jubilee’s birthday?
Jubilee turned 3 with pizza and ice cream cake! She had so much fun opening presents AGAIN. 

What’s one thing that would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
All in all, I would say we had a very good year, a lot better than many people who’ve had to endure true hardships from the several outrageous circumstances that everyone in the world’s been facing on a daily basis. I really don’t know what would have made this year better besides the obvious “no global pandemic” response; but I know that I’m grateful for my family and friends, being able to keep in touch via technology, spending a lot more time with Chris and Jubilee, and practicing finding joy in the little things.

How would you describe your personal fashion concept?
Pajamas. All. Day. Everyday.

What kept you sane?
Having my parents nearby and helping with Jubilee especially when I felt tired and nauseated

Which celebrity or public figure did you fancy the most?
Henry Cavill

What political issue stirred you the most?
The election in general

Who did you miss?
My friends in person

Who was the best new person you met?
Charlotte Rose Lockhart

What is a valuable life lesson you learned?
Treating others with kindness and respect can sometimes be difficult but it’s not impossible. There is always common ground if you’re patient enough to look for it. In the end I want to be able to reflect on my attitude and behavior and say I did what was right and not just what was easy. Keeping your cool in the most heated situations is the kind of strength in character that I want to demonstrate to my kids. 

What is a song lyric that sums up your year?
I don’t know about tomorrow, I just live from day to day
I don’t borrow from its sunshine, for its skies may turn to grey
I don’t worry o’er the future, for I know what Jesus said
And today I’ll walk beside Him, for He knows what lies ahead
Many things about tomorrow I don’t seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow, and I know who holds my hand


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

i'm sitting in the middle of my bed. it's really comfortable, definitely a lot bigger than my twin mattress. my arms and legs are tired from unpacking, but before i sleep, i wanted to write a little something. around 8pm this evening, we finally pulled into the drive way and opened the door to an extremely excited cody. the ride from norcal was pretty smooth, save the first day when it was raining really hard. yesterday, we spent the night in diamond bar, because 15 hours of straight driving would be too tough on my brother, especially when my mom still has jetlag, and neither of them want me behind the wheel. that reminds me, i going to need to start driving again. yikes. anyway, most of my belongings are put away now, but a lot of my clothes and books are still scattered around the floor, because i don't have any bookshelves or even a dresser at the moment. right now, tucson isn't too different from the bay area in terms of weather. according to my desktop widget, it&

All Things In One

What have I been up to? Home: Living in the South Bay has been a pretty good experience. I didn't think I would like it (compared to the city) or get used to driving, but I very much enjoy speeding down the freeway and listening to the radio every day. Traffic is almost always terrible when I'm on the road, but it's expected. The wonderful part is that I have a lovely place to call home. I look forward to spending time with my house mates, even if it means listening to the three of them play games next to me while I'm text-twisting on my laptop. There are so many different ethnic restaurants around the area. The other night, I had some pretty delicious Malaysian cuisine. It reminded me of my aunt next door in Tucson, and how much I miss her (and her cooking). Work: Many people know from my status updates on Facebook, and a select few have heard the long, agonizing stories of how frustrating it has been at work for the past month. Recruitment for our study has bee

Parallel Characters

King Kong was on TNT over the weekend. I tuned in and loved it just as much as I did when I watched it in the theater. I wanted to write an essay afterward! The relationship between Anne and the ape was so touching, and I enjoyed that they were parallel characters-- she not belonging in his world, he not belonging in hers; both lose the people they cherish, and both protect the other from danger; at many points in the plot, they were bound physically and emotionally to each other.  When they're together, they have that companionship they seek.