Skip to main content

In 2022

What top memories stand out?

A lot of family time, the kids' birthdays, our first family camping trip and Henry's first time in the snow, my parents moving in and then moving away, Chris's parents moving to Sacramento, Friday Costco trips with Henry, Jubilee's dance classes and summer recital, book club meetings with Sandy and Manly, visiting UC Berkeley with my children and crying when I saw Manly in Memorial Glade, taking family photos with Vitaliy and Candace in Grass Valley, Tien's gender reveal party, Glowfari at Oakland Zoo, and doing daily movie puzzles with Sandy and Abe

What life or home changes happened?

The biggest change was that my parents moved to Taiwan in November, so Chris and I had to re-balance work and life in a new way. I stopped going into the office part time, so that I can work full time at home while watching Henry until he starts daycare.

Who did I get to know?

I got to know Joyce and Yukari when I joined D-Group for 12 weeks in the fall. I also got to know my coworkers (TJ, Will, Shannen, Lauren, and Anoushka) better when we got together for dinner once every few months. 

Who did I miss?

My parents

What were the highs and lows of my marriage?

Had a couple of lovely date nights on my birthday and on our anniversary, and enjoyed reflecting on our marriage during Noah's Ark meetings throughout the year. Chris and I had a pretty huge fight in the summer, and we stewed a few days before talking through it. I'm still learning (more like accepting) that fights are good for relationships, because it means we care enough to work through the mess. We both learn a lot about each other after arguments, and fortunately we don't have the same arguments more than once. 

What were the highs and lows of parenthood?

The lows are definitely Jubilee's threenager attitude and sass, which feels like it happens every other day. She switches between incredibly sweet and ridiculously annoying, and while I obviously love her, I also have moments where I very much don't like her, and along with that comes overwhelming guilt and self-hate. I hate that I can't be more patient and that I take her too seriously, when she doesn't even know what she talking about half the time, and she's still learning to process her emotions. On the opposite end though, she's learned to write her letters, and I keep in my wallet the "notes" and drawings that she gives me. I'll take them out every once in a while and just stare at them in awe and gratitude.

Who made me proud?

Jubilee during her summer dance recital and during her school's Christmas program. I'm so proud of the projects and working exercises that she brings home from school. I was also immensely proud of Chris over the Thanksgiving holiday when he displayed love and respect for his parents. I guess I'll throw in some of Henry's accomplishments here too! He has finally started saying a few words, and it's the cutest thing in the whole world to hear him speak. 

What challenges did I face?

Working from home with Henry at home means not really working at all, so that was a huge challenge. I'm also learning to let Chris do more of the kids' stuff like bath time and post-bedtime cleaning up, because I'm too tired to care whether it's done correctly as long as it's done. 

What were my biggest work accomplishments?

An excerpt from my year-end self-assessment: 2022 was a very busy and productive year of managing 12 proposals, getting six on contract, being [mentor] to two new hires, and completing a number of miscellaneous tasks, which include my presentation as guest speaker for the Project Engineering Alliance in January, authoring BOEs for the [project] in June, creating new templates for the New Business Proposal Status meeting, and leading a working group in the Acquisitions offsite in December. I contribute significant value to the team both in assignment and interpersonally. Being on this team has been a lot of hard work to meet the customer's demands and our organization's evolving processes for compliance, but it has also been fun to maintain great relationships between coworkers across Sunnyvale, Huntsville (visited in May), and Dallas (visited in October). I completed all of my training requirements ahead of schedule, and I have come into campus especially to support all classified meetings for the Special Studies program. I appreciate the ability to work a hybrid schedule of home and office, and I will continue to deliver the same diligence in 2023. 

How did I celebrate my birthday?

Chris took me to Be.Stéak.Ă in Campbell for my 37th. It was such a fun and delicious experience! I don't often spend the time and money to eat fine dining, but I'm glad we splurge every once in a while. My favorite dishes were the seared scallop and the truffle pasta.

How did I celebrate my family’s birthdays?

For Henry's first birthday, we had a family dinner with mine and Chris's parents at home. My dad made dumplings, and Chris's mom brought a huge tray of rice cakes. They were so good! Henry wore a traditional Hanbok, which was super cute. 

Chris wanted to eat burgers and pies at Nation's for his 41st. That guy is ezpz, no fuss, enjoying the simple pleasures of life. We went with his groomsmen Austin, Justin, and Jeremy.

Jubilee rang in year 5 at home with a rib roast dinner and mashed potatoes. Sandy came over and attempted to make a gingerbread house with her, but the frosting that came with the box was not setting well, so after many failed attempts at standing up the walls, Jubilee just ate the candies. We celebrated on her birthday eve, because on her actual birthday, we drove up to South Lake Tahoe with LSCC for the annual snow trip. It was our first time going, and everyone sang happy birthday to her that night.

How did I celebrate my wedding anniversary?

Chris and I went to Il Fornaio in Santa Clara to celebrate year 7. Per usual, we spent an evening without the kids talking about nothing but the kids. We also looked at our list of hopes for our marriage that we drafted up before we got married, and we're actually on a pretty good roll!

How did I celebrate the holidays?

Chris's parents and Dawn came over for Thanksgiving. Chris's dad fried a turkey for the first time, and it turned out all right. Still, I voted we don't have turkey anymore moving forward, because no one likes turkey no matter how it's prepared. We went to Sacramento for Christmas Eve for the night, and we came back to spend Christmas Day and the rest of the year at home. The silver lining of my in-laws moving up from Murietta is that trips to see them (and vice versa) are cut down dramatically. 

What did I experience for the first time?

Some firsts with my kiddos: dyeing Easter eggs with Jubilee, taking the kids Ardenwood Farm,  Lemos Farm, Happy Hollow, and the Oakland Zoo, Henry's first dentist appointment, Henry's first time trick-or-treating, and both kids' first hair cuts

Where did I travel?

Calaveras Big Trees for our camping trip, South Lake Tahoe for our snow trip, and Huntsville and Dallas for work

Which moments brought me joy?

Many of the things I listed as a top memory brought me immense joy. The main thing I can think of right now is just staring at Henry sometimes. He can be watching TV or sleeping or playing by himself, but just looking at him and observing his little features... such a joy that makes me smile, in fact making me smile right now as I'm thinking about it.

Which moments made me cry?

Right before my parents moved away, my mom and I got into the biggest fight in our relationship, and we didn't talk for a week. That was devastating, and I lost so much sleep over it. We did make up before they moved, and we're fine now, but man that experience was traumatizing. 

What was the best thing I purchased?

I traded in my 2017 Galaxy 8 for the Galaxy 22. Also, my MacBook Air died. I was very sad, because I've had it for a decade, but I took the opportunity to switch from Apple to Windows and got a Samsung Galaxy Book.

What were my favorite books?

The Love Hypothesis, Cloud Cuckoo Land, Project Hail Mary, Sapiens, Sea of Tranquility, The Dead Romantics

What were my favorite movies?

Don't Look Up, Encanto, Look Both Ways, Long Story Short, Sheng Wang: Sweet & Juicy

What were my favorite series?

Call the Midwife, QE, QE Germany, Murderville, Space Force, All of Us Are Dead, The Silent Sea

What were my favorite music?

According to Spotify, my most listened to artist was John Williams, which is no surprise. I'll always love listening to him and other film composers. 

What were my favorite games?

LEGO Harry Potter and Candy Crush Saga

What was I most thankful for?

For all of the childcare help that my parents provided every single day since the birth of both my babies; for their smooth transition in Taiwan and how happy they are settling down over there; for my wonderful marriage to such a fun and easy-going husband; for our beautiful kids who have great health and great temperaments; for the house we live in and how amazingly it fulfills our every need and more; for my circle of supportive friends who are always just a video call away to help me process and allow me to share the good and the bad; for how much they love on my children as if they were their own; for a church family that loves us and prays for us and walks with us through each season of life.

How did I grow spiritually?

I joined a Discipleship (or D) Group in the fall. It was really good to be in a community of women who also wanted more accountability. We had daily readings and weekly homework, and best of all, it forced me to memorize scripture again, which I had not done in many years. We memorized Galatians 5:16-26, and I've been saying it to myself weekly just to make sure I still have it burned into my memory.

What life lessons did I learn?

I always struggle with this one, but I was able to experience again the great timing and ways that God provides for me. Over the summer when Chris and I were budgeting for Henry's daycare, we started to get worried about our monthly finances, namely that we'd be spending more than we earn. While we have savings for these kind of situations, it was still stressful to have that deficit on our mind. Miraculously, our monthly home payments were reduced by $500, and I qualified to refinance my student loans for a reduced monthly amount by $500. Fun fact: The amount that Chris and I had initially calculated for us not to be in the red was exactly $1,000/month. Some people might chalk it up to coincidence, but I want to believe that God intervened in the most perfect way at the most perfect time.

What character traits did I develop or improve?

I'd like to think I was more patient with Jubilee. Chris and I had talked about it a number of times, and I'm learning to control my anger when she is being defiant. Particularly, I have been trying my best to stay calm longer and also speak with a more gentle (but firm) tone. 

What am I looking forward to in the next year?

I want to take the kids to Taiwan to visit my parents. I also want to take them to Disneyland. I'm looking forward to an established routine between me and Chris for dropping off and picking up the kids from school

What fears do I have for the next year?

I'm both looking forward to and dreading Henry starting daycare, because although it'll be good for all of us, he's growing up so fast and slipping through my fingers. And Jubilee will start Kindergarten next fall in the public school system. Ah, what a bittersweet feeling to see our children grow up. I want them to grow up, but I also don't want them to grow up. What a conundrum.

What aspirations do I hope for the next year?

Memorize more scripture, maybe a chunk of verses every quarter. Exercise 3-4 times a week. Finally put up photos and frames on our walls. Go on more date nights. Take the kids on more outings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

i'm sitting in the middle of my bed. it's really comfortable, definitely a lot bigger than my twin mattress. my arms and legs are tired from unpacking, but before i sleep, i wanted to write a little something. around 8pm this evening, we finally pulled into the drive way and opened the door to an extremely excited cody. the ride from norcal was pretty smooth, save the first day when it was raining really hard. yesterday, we spent the night in diamond bar, because 15 hours of straight driving would be too tough on my brother, especially when my mom still has jetlag, and neither of them want me behind the wheel. that reminds me, i going to need to start driving again. yikes. anyway, most of my belongings are put away now, but a lot of my clothes and books are still scattered around the floor, because i don't have any bookshelves or even a dresser at the moment. right now, tucson isn't too different from the bay area in terms of weather. according to my desktop widget, it&

All Things In One

What have I been up to? Home: Living in the South Bay has been a pretty good experience. I didn't think I would like it (compared to the city) or get used to driving, but I very much enjoy speeding down the freeway and listening to the radio every day. Traffic is almost always terrible when I'm on the road, but it's expected. The wonderful part is that I have a lovely place to call home. I look forward to spending time with my house mates, even if it means listening to the three of them play games next to me while I'm text-twisting on my laptop. There are so many different ethnic restaurants around the area. The other night, I had some pretty delicious Malaysian cuisine. It reminded me of my aunt next door in Tucson, and how much I miss her (and her cooking). Work: Many people know from my status updates on Facebook, and a select few have heard the long, agonizing stories of how frustrating it has been at work for the past month. Recruitment for our study has bee

Parallel Characters

King Kong was on TNT over the weekend. I tuned in and loved it just as much as I did when I watched it in the theater. I wanted to write an essay afterward! The relationship between Anne and the ape was so touching, and I enjoyed that they were parallel characters-- she not belonging in his world, he not belonging in hers; both lose the people they cherish, and both protect the other from danger; at many points in the plot, they were bound physically and emotionally to each other.  When they're together, they have that companionship they seek.