Skip to main content

My Grandpa

My grandpa passed away last week. My mom and aunts are in Malaysia together. Yesterday, they had the memorial service. I'm sad that I wasn't able to go. People have been asking me how I feel and if I need anything, but I'm fine. I cried when I first heard the news that he had died, but I know he's in a better place now where his brain isn't dying anymore. He developed Alzheimer's after a stroke a few years ago. It was hard seeing/hearing my mom cry about him forgetting who she is.

My grandpa lived with my family the longest when I was growing up, as opposed to living with his other daughters. As a result, I was able to get to know him well. He used to jog some 6 miles every morning before the sun came up, drink a giant bowl of water, and then teach me how to stretch properly after exercising. He used to play Chinese music really loudly in his room while reading Chinese newspapers. I remember that he had built this chair in his room, where he could lift up the cushion and put personal stuff in there, like his passport and some pictures and money. Sometimes my brother and I would go in there and listen to the music with him. Then he'd take one of our stuffed animals and use it as a puppet to make us laugh. Some decades later, when I told my mom about those memories, she was surprised, because he was never that playful and affectionate when she and my aunts were kids. When my grandpa began to forget his grandchildren, he would still recognize me and my brother in photographs. I'm thankful that I got to spend as much time as I did with him. He is my first grandparent to pass away. I'm not so sad anymore, because I know I'll see him again. He's in heaven with a clear mind, a young and handsome face, and jogging on golden streets.

Comments

dewinsunshine said…
Shakespeare's Hamlet! Oh em gee, let's go!

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

i'm sitting in the middle of my bed. it's really comfortable, definitely a lot bigger than my twin mattress. my arms and legs are tired from unpacking, but before i sleep, i wanted to write a little something. around 8pm this evening, we finally pulled into the drive way and opened the door to an extremely excited cody. the ride from norcal was pretty smooth, save the first day when it was raining really hard. yesterday, we spent the night in diamond bar, because 15 hours of straight driving would be too tough on my brother, especially when my mom still has jetlag, and neither of them want me behind the wheel. that reminds me, i going to need to start driving again. yikes. anyway, most of my belongings are put away now, but a lot of my clothes and books are still scattered around the floor, because i don't have any bookshelves or even a dresser at the moment. right now, tucson isn't too different from the bay area in terms of weather. according to my desktop widget, it&

All Things In One

What have I been up to? Home: Living in the South Bay has been a pretty good experience. I didn't think I would like it (compared to the city) or get used to driving, but I very much enjoy speeding down the freeway and listening to the radio every day. Traffic is almost always terrible when I'm on the road, but it's expected. The wonderful part is that I have a lovely place to call home. I look forward to spending time with my house mates, even if it means listening to the three of them play games next to me while I'm text-twisting on my laptop. There are so many different ethnic restaurants around the area. The other night, I had some pretty delicious Malaysian cuisine. It reminded me of my aunt next door in Tucson, and how much I miss her (and her cooking). Work: Many people know from my status updates on Facebook, and a select few have heard the long, agonizing stories of how frustrating it has been at work for the past month. Recruitment for our study has bee

Parallel Characters

King Kong was on TNT over the weekend. I tuned in and loved it just as much as I did when I watched it in the theater. I wanted to write an essay afterward! The relationship between Anne and the ape was so touching, and I enjoyed that they were parallel characters-- she not belonging in his world, he not belonging in hers; both lose the people they cherish, and both protect the other from danger; at many points in the plot, they were bound physically and emotionally to each other.  When they're together, they have that companionship they seek.