Skip to main content

Quality Over Quantity


I am back from New York! Overall, it was a pretty good trip. I got to spend Christmas with family, which was the main point of my visit. I had really good, deep conversations with my aunt about work, relationships, and life in general. She shares a lot of valuable advice and life stories that my mom is not able to provide, because my aunt dated more, married later, had difficulty finding jobs before, and worked different positions throughout her career; basically, she has many relevant experiences that I can learn from in my particular situation at the moment. I love that my mom has four sisters, each of whom I consider another mom, and I'm very close to all of them! I also got to spend time with my cousin, who, although is ten years younger than me, shares with me a remarkable number of similar interests. We watched Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol in IMAX on Christmas morning! It was awesome. I was so nervous throughout the entire movie! I was literally on the edge of my seat during a good portion of the film. Then we watched The Adventures of Tintin a few days later; I thought it was such a cute and well-made movie, but because of its animated feature, the audience was largely children, which can be super annoying.

Christmas in New York City, what can I say? Even though I don't see myself moving back, I definitely want to spend the winter holidays there as much as possible. The atmosphere is super Christmasy, enhancing my favorite holiday of the year--the decorations, the Rockefeller tree, the freezing wind in my face as I walk through all the familiar places. I had an amazing time catching up with old friends, hearing about all the great things that have happened to them since we last saw each other. Unfortunately, I also had some bad experiences with some friends who could not make time to see me. It really made me question the quality of my friendships. I've always favored quality over quantity when it comes to my friendships; however, with each new stage in life, time and distance do what they do best, and I have to make the effort in maintaining the relationships worth keeping. The tricky part is figuring out which ones are worth keeping.

I can honestly say that 2011 has not been easy, nor my best year. In fact, I would venture out to claim that it's been the worst year. From losing my job to depleting my savings account, rejections upon rejections in the job search, and being unsure for the first time in my life what I want to do with my life, I have had enough instability. Last year, in my survey of 2010, I wished for more stability in 2011; while that did not happen, I do hope for it in 2012, AND amid the setbacks, I did gain a number of priceless relationships along the way--a new church family in LSCC, wonderful roommates, a boy who cares about me, and renewed friendships with my diaper buddies and Cal ladies. I have felt more love from those around me than any previous year. In addition, though my efforts in the working world proved to be unsuccessful thus far, my spirituality has grown not only in depth but also steadfastness. I have unwavering faith that God will provide amazing opportunities in His perfect timing. Goodbye, 2011. Hello, 2012!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

i'm sitting in the middle of my bed. it's really comfortable, definitely a lot bigger than my twin mattress. my arms and legs are tired from unpacking, but before i sleep, i wanted to write a little something. around 8pm this evening, we finally pulled into the drive way and opened the door to an extremely excited cody. the ride from norcal was pretty smooth, save the first day when it was raining really hard. yesterday, we spent the night in diamond bar, because 15 hours of straight driving would be too tough on my brother, especially when my mom still has jetlag, and neither of them want me behind the wheel. that reminds me, i going to need to start driving again. yikes. anyway, most of my belongings are put away now, but a lot of my clothes and books are still scattered around the floor, because i don't have any bookshelves or even a dresser at the moment. right now, tucson isn't too different from the bay area in terms of weather. according to my desktop widget, it&

All Things In One

What have I been up to? Home: Living in the South Bay has been a pretty good experience. I didn't think I would like it (compared to the city) or get used to driving, but I very much enjoy speeding down the freeway and listening to the radio every day. Traffic is almost always terrible when I'm on the road, but it's expected. The wonderful part is that I have a lovely place to call home. I look forward to spending time with my house mates, even if it means listening to the three of them play games next to me while I'm text-twisting on my laptop. There are so many different ethnic restaurants around the area. The other night, I had some pretty delicious Malaysian cuisine. It reminded me of my aunt next door in Tucson, and how much I miss her (and her cooking). Work: Many people know from my status updates on Facebook, and a select few have heard the long, agonizing stories of how frustrating it has been at work for the past month. Recruitment for our study has bee

Parallel Characters

King Kong was on TNT over the weekend. I tuned in and loved it just as much as I did when I watched it in the theater. I wanted to write an essay afterward! The relationship between Anne and the ape was so touching, and I enjoyed that they were parallel characters-- she not belonging in his world, he not belonging in hers; both lose the people they cherish, and both protect the other from danger; at many points in the plot, they were bound physically and emotionally to each other.  When they're together, they have that companionship they seek.