Skip to main content

In 2014



1.  What did you do in 2014 that you'd never done before?
I went to an opera, exchanged money at Gringotts Wizarding Bank, visited a butterfly conservatory, accidentally hit another car with mine, learned some German, introduced my parents to Chris’s parents, camped in Mammoth, won a costume contest, won an ugly sweater contest, stayed at an Airbnb rental, finished watching TNG, and had a lovely Star Trek viewing party to end the beloved series.

2.  Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
My resolution last year was to continue going to the gym and also to control my portions when I eat, incorporating more vegetables in my diet. I am proud to say that I’ve kept my resolution and would like to continue doing so in the following year. In addition, for 2015, I should like to push myself to get a promotion or new job.

3.  Did anyone close to you give birth?
Austin and Cristina had Conner, and my aunt and uncle in Taiwan had my little cousin.

4.  Did anyone close to you die?
No

5.  What countries did you visit?
I didn’t visit any countries, but I went to some places in California that I’ve never been before (Fort Bragg, Mammoth, Bodega Bay)

6.  What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
Same answer as last year’s response – I want a new job. Time to be serious about it!

7.  What date(s) from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I don’t recall specific dates, but some wonderful memories include my birthday sushi feast at home that my dad made, reunion brunch in Oakland with my college friends when Manly visited from New York in March, flying to Phoenix in May to surprise Tien for her birthday, the bittersweet transition from NSJ to Union City small group over the summer, practice camping trip in Bodega Bay in June, camping trip in Mammoth for Sara’s birthday in July, watching some of my favorite comedians – Louis CK, Jim Gaffigan, Demetri Martin – at the Oddball Comedy Festival in September, the mind-blowingly awesome Wizarding World of Harry Potter with Sandy in October, having a combined Wang-Weingartner Thanksgiving dinner in Fremont, and attending a beloved cousin’s wedding just a few days ago in Tucson.

8.  What was your biggest achievement of the year?
My PRs (in pounds) for deadlifts: 155, squats: 135, and bench presses: 75.

9.  What was your biggest failure?
Slamming on the wrong pedal at the stoplight.

10.  Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had a mild case of Pityriasis rosea in the summer. It was irritating but short-lived, thankfully.

11.  What was the best thing you bought?
The Orlando trip, hands down!

12.  Whose behavior merited celebration?
Tien, for landing her sweet gig of being a nurse in the labor & delivery unit!

13.  Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
There is a handful, but here is not the time or place to name names.

14.  Where did most of your money go?
Bills, bills, bills!

15.  What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My trip to Florida – I was practically squealing endlessly from the moment we purchased the tickets to the day we had to leave Orlando for SFO.

16.  What song(s) will always remind you of 2014?
I’m uncertain why, but I had these two Billy Joel songs on repeat for most of the year: Just the Way You Are, and She’s Always a Woman.

17.  Compared to this time last year, are you:
Wiser?  Yes
Healthier?  Yes
Richer?  Yes

18.  What do you wish you'd done more of?
Read, hang out with old friends, especially those who live in the Bay Area, apply to jobs, and memorize all of Beethoven’s symphonies

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Being okay with where I am at work, being afraid to say no, and eating a second helping 

20.  How did you spend Christmas?
I was in Tempe, AZ with my family. We had dinner with some other families from our home church. It wasn’t remarkable, but I’m learning to appreciate how fortunate I am to have loved ones around me during the holidays.

21.  Did you fall in love in 2014?
Again and again

22.  How many 1-night stands?
What a stupid question that never applies to me. I hereby change this question to “What new hobbies did you pick up?” I started to learn German via Duolingo.com, and I also began a basic course of HTML on Codeacademy.com.

23.  What was your favorite TV program?
I finished TNG and the IT Crowd (hilarious!) and began watching Chuck on Netflix, which has been fun.

24.  Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No

25.  What was the best book you read?
I read the Mistborn series and absolutely loved it! I highly recommend that trilogy. I also began rereading the Harry Potter books. Now and then, I’ll pick up a story or two from the Sherlock Holmes volume, but I’m currently hooked on HP.

26.  What was your greatest musical discovery?
There is a series of albums called Cinematic Jazz that I found on Spotify. It’s a big collection of music from classic movies remade with a hint of smooth jazz.

27.  What did you want and get?
A vacation

28.  What did you want and not get?
Flowers on my birthday

29.  What was your favorite film(s) of this year?
Snowpiercer, TiMER, Instructions Not Included, and Tin Man (all on Netflix)

30.  What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I rang in 29 with lots of food, friends, and family. The Saturday before my birthday, I had dinner with Sandy, Roxanne, and Amanda at BJs. On the actual day, I had to work but took an extra-long lunch with Chris and Bineet at Five Guys, and in the evening, my dad prepared a spectacular feast of sushi, sashimi, and donburi. Afterwards, my mom surprised me with a beautiful mango cake, which was literally covered with thin mango slices.

31.  What's one thing that would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I honestly believe that everything has its timing. Are there things that would have made me extremely satisfied? Of course; however, not having them did not take away any joy from 2014. I am grateful that it was a happy year, with relatively few negative experiences. Each year has ups and downs of its own, and I don’t want to destroy my attitude by borrowing excitement from the future. What is coming will come; what won’t come will not arrive – All things in their time.

32.  How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
My personal fashion has been jeans and T-shirt, especially since I’ve moved back to California. And, similar to the year before, I’m regularly in my gym attire.

33.  What kept you sane?
Prayers during long commutes and venting to good friends who care and understand

34.  Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Chris Evans

35.  What political issue stirred you the most?
I was utterly consumed with the Holocaust.

36.  Who did you miss?
I missed Bebe, who lives overseas now. It’s inconvenient not being able to talk to her whenever I want.

37.  Who was the best new person you met?
It’s been 2 years since I joined my gym (can you believe it??) and I’ve finally begun to make friends with the regulars that I see every week.

38.  Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
That whole timing bit from Question 31, and from the ever-so-articulate and wise columnist Mary Schmich, “Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.”

39.  Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Many things about tomorrow I don't seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow and I know who holds my hand

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

i'm sitting in the middle of my bed. it's really comfortable, definitely a lot bigger than my twin mattress. my arms and legs are tired from unpacking, but before i sleep, i wanted to write a little something. around 8pm this evening, we finally pulled into the drive way and opened the door to an extremely excited cody. the ride from norcal was pretty smooth, save the first day when it was raining really hard. yesterday, we spent the night in diamond bar, because 15 hours of straight driving would be too tough on my brother, especially when my mom still has jetlag, and neither of them want me behind the wheel. that reminds me, i going to need to start driving again. yikes. anyway, most of my belongings are put away now, but a lot of my clothes and books are still scattered around the floor, because i don't have any bookshelves or even a dresser at the moment. right now, tucson isn't too different from the bay area in terms of weather. according to my desktop widget, it&

All Things In One

What have I been up to? Home: Living in the South Bay has been a pretty good experience. I didn't think I would like it (compared to the city) or get used to driving, but I very much enjoy speeding down the freeway and listening to the radio every day. Traffic is almost always terrible when I'm on the road, but it's expected. The wonderful part is that I have a lovely place to call home. I look forward to spending time with my house mates, even if it means listening to the three of them play games next to me while I'm text-twisting on my laptop. There are so many different ethnic restaurants around the area. The other night, I had some pretty delicious Malaysian cuisine. It reminded me of my aunt next door in Tucson, and how much I miss her (and her cooking). Work: Many people know from my status updates on Facebook, and a select few have heard the long, agonizing stories of how frustrating it has been at work for the past month. Recruitment for our study has bee

Parallel Characters

King Kong was on TNT over the weekend. I tuned in and loved it just as much as I did when I watched it in the theater. I wanted to write an essay afterward! The relationship between Anne and the ape was so touching, and I enjoyed that they were parallel characters-- she not belonging in his world, he not belonging in hers; both lose the people they cherish, and both protect the other from danger; at many points in the plot, they were bound physically and emotionally to each other.  When they're together, they have that companionship they seek.