Skip to main content

In 2016

What did you do in 2016 that you'd never done before?
I got a CA driver’s license (at long last), literally slept with the fishes at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, dyed my hair brown, bought a car (I’ve ever only leased in the past), went to an Olympic weightlifting meet and watched Chris compete admirably, vacationed in Hawaii, possibly broke a bone (I never confirmed with a doctor, but it eventually healed fine), and took a fancy cooking class with my church for our Christmas party

Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for the new year?
I did not make any resolutions last year. This year, however, I plan to read the Bible daily or at least more consistently. The Bible app on my phone has helped me stay on track with the reading plan that I picked. Also, I really do want to get back in shape. I simply need to commit to the gym again.

Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes – Bonnie, Cristina, and Jamie

Did anyone close to you die?
No

What countries did you visit?
I stayed domestic with my travels.

What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
Not that I lacked this in 2016, but I would like to try my hand at motherhood.

What date(s) from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
October 7-13, because Chris and I went to Maui for our first wedding anniversary

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I cannot pinpoint a single outstanding achievement, but when I think back on the year, there were dozens of winning moments at work, at church, in my marriage, and with my family. They build up and give me a feeling that my 2016, while quiet and stable, was overall good.

What was your biggest failure?
No particular lows either… I can’t think of any.

Did you suffer illness or injury?
I stubbed my fourth toe of my right foot pretty badly, and it swelled purple for about a week. I don’t know why, but at the time, I felt it was sufficient to bandage the toe myself and let it heal on its own. Anyway, it’s completely fine now.

What was the best thing you bought?
My Forester

Whose behavior merited celebration?
Bebe – for standing up for herself and getting out of her job with that abusive manager

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Some members in my family who were pro-Trump because “we’re Republican” or because “we’re Christian.” It makes me really sad sometimes that I’m closely related to such closed-minded opinions that the world can only be black or white.

Where did most of your money go?
Paying off my student loans until the day I die

What did you get really, really, really excited about?
I want to say Hawaii, but I’d be lying if I did not also mention that the Thursday night before each off-Friday (every other week) is filled with extreme excitement to sleep in

What song(s) will always remind you of 2016?
Not sure, maybe the Fiddler on the Roof soundtrack. I listened to that on repeat for months.

Compared to this time last year, are you:
Wiser?  Yes
Healthier?  No
Richer?  Yes

What do you wish you'd done more of?
Cook and exercise

What do you wish you'd done less of?
Eat out – so much money…

How did you spend Christmas?
Chris and I went to a Christmas Day service in the morning and spent the evening at my parents’ place opening presents, eating steak and lamb, and watching Beauty and the Beast (which is what Chris gave me)

What new hobbies did you pick up?
Don’t think I picked up anything new

What was your favorite TV program?
The Tudors, The Office, Law & Order SVU, Malcolm in the Middle, Miranda, and Call the Midwife

Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No

What was the best book(s) you read?
FanGirl, Attachments, Eleanor & Park, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, Cinder, and Jurassic Park

What was your greatest musical discovery?
Old Broadway musicals! Fiddler on the Roof, The Music Man, A Little Night Music, Oklahoma, and Oliver

What did you want and get?
Flowers on my birthday

What did you want and not get?
To paddleboard in Hawaii

What was your favorite film(s) of this year?
Star Trek Beyond and Rogue One

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Chris bought me a beautiful bouquet of flowers, which was all I wanted! That night, he and I kept it simple and had dinner at Claim Jumper, and I ordered a big slice of cake for dessert.

What’s one thing that would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Winning the lottery

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016?
Lots of business casual for work, and sweatpants when I’m not at work. I miss my stilettos from NYC days.

What kept you sane?
Good friends and family nearby

Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Miranda Hart

What political issue stirred you the most?
The president-elect is a racist, sexist, and dishonest moron who lacks integrity

Who did you miss?
Sandy

Who was the best new person you met?
I can’t think of anyone in particular. Maybe next year I’ll have some more interesting answers.

Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016.
Be honest and say what’s on your mind to your spouse. Such an obvious lesson but an extremely difficult thing for me to do when I know that something I bring up might upset him.

Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

Who could see that a man would come, who would change the shape of my dreams? Helpless now I stand with him, watching older dreams grow dim.

Comments

Jocelyn Ong said…
i was waiting for this post :P
read every single answer carefully!
Tiffany said…
haha thank you! 2016 was a quiet year, so i felt like the answers were a little blah. maybe 2017 will be more exciting :)

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

i'm sitting in the middle of my bed. it's really comfortable, definitely a lot bigger than my twin mattress. my arms and legs are tired from unpacking, but before i sleep, i wanted to write a little something. around 8pm this evening, we finally pulled into the drive way and opened the door to an extremely excited cody. the ride from norcal was pretty smooth, save the first day when it was raining really hard. yesterday, we spent the night in diamond bar, because 15 hours of straight driving would be too tough on my brother, especially when my mom still has jetlag, and neither of them want me behind the wheel. that reminds me, i going to need to start driving again. yikes. anyway, most of my belongings are put away now, but a lot of my clothes and books are still scattered around the floor, because i don't have any bookshelves or even a dresser at the moment. right now, tucson isn't too different from the bay area in terms of weather. according to my desktop widget, it&

All Things In One

What have I been up to? Home: Living in the South Bay has been a pretty good experience. I didn't think I would like it (compared to the city) or get used to driving, but I very much enjoy speeding down the freeway and listening to the radio every day. Traffic is almost always terrible when I'm on the road, but it's expected. The wonderful part is that I have a lovely place to call home. I look forward to spending time with my house mates, even if it means listening to the three of them play games next to me while I'm text-twisting on my laptop. There are so many different ethnic restaurants around the area. The other night, I had some pretty delicious Malaysian cuisine. It reminded me of my aunt next door in Tucson, and how much I miss her (and her cooking). Work: Many people know from my status updates on Facebook, and a select few have heard the long, agonizing stories of how frustrating it has been at work for the past month. Recruitment for our study has bee

Parallel Characters

King Kong was on TNT over the weekend. I tuned in and loved it just as much as I did when I watched it in the theater. I wanted to write an essay afterward! The relationship between Anne and the ape was so touching, and I enjoyed that they were parallel characters-- she not belonging in his world, he not belonging in hers; both lose the people they cherish, and both protect the other from danger; at many points in the plot, they were bound physically and emotionally to each other.  When they're together, they have that companionship they seek.