Skip to main content

In 2013



1.  What did you do in 2013 that you'd never done before?
I went to the gym consistently, gave a wedding speech, watched all six TOS movies, participated in Hungry For Change (a diet of limited oatmeal, rice, and beans for 1 week), visited Cambria and tried olallieberry pie, joined the worship core at church, leased a hybrid car, played piano for a wedding, skipped my 10-year high school reunion, and cosigned an apartment with my mom and dad.

2.  Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Besides the break in December, I did go to the gym regularly every week for 11 months!  Next year, I would like to continue exercising and incorporate a diet that includes portion control and more vegetables.

3.  Did anyone close to you give birth?
No one particularly close to me, but the baby boom continues at LSCC.

4.  Did anyone close to you die?
No

5.  What countries did you visit?
I did not travel in 2013 except for a couple road trips up and down California.

6.  What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
I would like to find a job that maximizes my potential.

7.  What date(s) from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
February 9 (Bebe’s wedding) and June 29 (the long awaited DTR + all the miscellaneous dates and hangouts that occurred before that afternoon)

8.  What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Working out for as long and consistently as I did – I’m really proud of myself!  Also, June 29 :)

9.  What was your biggest failure?
I don’t recall any significant memory of failing this year.

10.  Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had the usual 1-2 nights of the cold or flu or upset stomach, nothing serious.

11.  What was the best thing you bought?
My glasses

12.  Whose behavior merited celebration?
Tien, for finishing nursing school and getting her license!

13.  Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
A former roommate that I don’t keep in touch with anymore

14.  Where did most of your money go?
Rather than my usual answer, which is RENT, I’ll say car payments and student loans.

15.  What did you get really, really, really excited about?
“I feel the same way.”

16.  What song(s) will always remind you of 2013?
Radioactive by Imagine Dragons, Overjoyed by Steve Wonder (especially the cover by Victor Wooten), All of Me by John Legend, Counting Starts by OneRepublic, and anything from Les Miserables.

17.  Compared to this time last year, are you:
Wiser?  Yes
Healthier?  YES!  Finally able to say yes!
Richer?  Yes

18.  What do you wish you'd done more of?
Seize the moment or opportunity sooner than later, whether it’s at work, church, or in my personal relationships

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worry about the negative outcomes that ultimately never came to pass

20.  How will you be spending Christmas?
This year I spent it with my mom and dad and brother.  It was nice.  I hope to spend it with them next year as well (plus a significant other would be nice).

21.  Did you fall in love in 2013?
Sure

22.  How many 1-night stands?
Zero

23.  What was your favorite TV program?
TNG and Adventure Time

24.  Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don’t think I burned any bridges this year.  Progress!

25.  What was the best book you read?
I reread The Hobbit.  I was blown away this second time around.  Rereading novels from high school is a very good idea!

26.  What was your greatest musical discovery?
Sara Bareilles (so slow to the game, I know…)

27.  What did you want and get?
The Prius C

28.  What did you want and not get?
I applied to a few jobs throughout the year, but I didn’t hear back from them, unfortunately.

29.  What was your favorite film(s) of this year?
You know, I don’t think I went to the theater more than twice this year.  No movie stands outs at the moment as a favorite.

30.  What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I went to Henry’s Hi-Life for BBQ ribs and brisket with my small group.  We ended the night with a beautiful pink Nothing Bundt Cake at Johnson’s place and took silly photos.  I was 28.

31.  What's one thing that would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If the answer to Question 28 were a positive statement instead of a wish-not-come-true, that would have been really awesome, but I’m not complaining.  This year has been truly a blessing.

32.  How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?
Leggings and t-shirt – I’ve been in workout clothes a lot this year.

33.  What kept you sane?
Daily conversations with Roxanne via Gchat

34.  Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Tom Hiddleston (We’re up all night to get Loki!)

35.  What political issue stirred you the most?
Ehh…

36.  Who did you miss?
I did not miss any one person in particular, but 2013 being the 10-year anniversary of graduating high school and starting college, reminiscing with old friends has brought up a lot of nostalgia for those good old days when life was simple and sweet, and we were such happy, naïve children, full of optimism and dreams.  I miss those days, but I’m immensely grateful for the friendships that have bloomed and evolved this past decade.

37.  Who was the best new person you met?
I didn’t just meet Dan Yun in 2013, but we started to talk more this year, and I’ve really enjoyed our conversation and friendship.

38.  Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
Have more confidence that you are just as awesome and worthy of love as your friends think you are.  It is one thing to accept the fact, but it’s a whole other ball park when you really begin to believe it.

39.  Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Maybe there’s a way out of the cage where you live
Maybe one of these days you can let the light in
Show me how big your brave is
Say what you want to say and let the words fall out
Honestly, I want to see you be brave

Comments

dewinsunshine said…
I'm in your post! I'm so glad we chat online during the day. =) Love you!

Popular posts from this blog

Saying Goodbye

i'm sitting in the middle of my bed. it's really comfortable, definitely a lot bigger than my twin mattress. my arms and legs are tired from unpacking, but before i sleep, i wanted to write a little something. around 8pm this evening, we finally pulled into the drive way and opened the door to an extremely excited cody. the ride from norcal was pretty smooth, save the first day when it was raining really hard. yesterday, we spent the night in diamond bar, because 15 hours of straight driving would be too tough on my brother, especially when my mom still has jetlag, and neither of them want me behind the wheel. that reminds me, i going to need to start driving again. yikes. anyway, most of my belongings are put away now, but a lot of my clothes and books are still scattered around the floor, because i don't have any bookshelves or even a dresser at the moment. right now, tucson isn't too different from the bay area in terms of weather. according to my desktop widget, it&

All Things In One

What have I been up to? Home: Living in the South Bay has been a pretty good experience. I didn't think I would like it (compared to the city) or get used to driving, but I very much enjoy speeding down the freeway and listening to the radio every day. Traffic is almost always terrible when I'm on the road, but it's expected. The wonderful part is that I have a lovely place to call home. I look forward to spending time with my house mates, even if it means listening to the three of them play games next to me while I'm text-twisting on my laptop. There are so many different ethnic restaurants around the area. The other night, I had some pretty delicious Malaysian cuisine. It reminded me of my aunt next door in Tucson, and how much I miss her (and her cooking). Work: Many people know from my status updates on Facebook, and a select few have heard the long, agonizing stories of how frustrating it has been at work for the past month. Recruitment for our study has bee

Parallel Characters

King Kong was on TNT over the weekend. I tuned in and loved it just as much as I did when I watched it in the theater. I wanted to write an essay afterward! The relationship between Anne and the ape was so touching, and I enjoyed that they were parallel characters-- she not belonging in his world, he not belonging in hers; both lose the people they cherish, and both protect the other from danger; at many points in the plot, they were bound physically and emotionally to each other.  When they're together, they have that companionship they seek.